PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadet Gliding pix in the 80s (pre glass)
Old 6th Feb 2009, 19:34
spannersatKL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oddsoft
Remember Weat Malling and 618 the 'Royal College of Gliding' I think the sign said on the door......my first ever flight was in the Barge there, with John Downs in the right seat....hooked ever since.....saw the same machine think it was XN186 here in the sunny sticks the other year at Shipdham Gliding Club....8 Ball Soaring.....so had to send my own son off for his first glider flight in it....bloody brilliant times at West Malling in the 70s...remember the Oly 2b.....and the exlax sandwiches....a certain Mr. Buckles I believe involved in both......an attempt by half a dozen of us to go back for a squadron dance one Saturday evening by borrowing the Moggie 1000 that was left in the hangar.........got as far as the Startled Saint, tried to bump start it going down the hill in to the village, and then the long push all the way back....up the hill!!!

Became a Staff Cadet at Manston good old 617.....more great times!! Learnt how to drive, how awful Margate can be in February and did lots of wonderful gliding...bloody brilliant way to spend yer yoof!