PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates - Crew Discussions II
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2009, 15:59
zerozol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oz, nz, uk

for the fellow "ozzie and british" peep, who only plan to "work" (mean: party and see the world) for 1-2 years with EK:

http://www.pprune.org/cabin-crew-wan...ment-v-29.html

posted by helfsich, post number 562; reply to post by hard2fly, number 557.

"Just a bit of background for you guys - I currently work for EK, originally from Perth, have done so for 3 years(...) Admittedly a lot of people come to Dubai and find that is isn't what they think it is. They come here, party all the time, call sick for a Jeddah, Bombay, Lagos, Shanghai, and wonder why they get called into the office, wonder why their rosters aren't as good as their batchmates, wonder why they haven't been upgraded to Business Class yet. Spend their money at all the malls and nightclubs and wonder why they've been here for a year or two and haven't been able to save anything despite not paying rent or utility bills or taxi cabs to and from work. They're on the phone to their boyfriend/girlfriend 2-3 times a week, who's complaining that they never see them, and yet these same crew never bid for flights because 'I never get what I want anyway'.

This job requires a HUGE lifestyle change. I cannot stress that enough. And whilst many people know that, are told that by friends in the industry or read it here on PPRuNe, many do not know how different this is until they start this job. Not to mention the huge culture shock of moving to an Arabic country, which may look western in those ads on TV or on travel shows, but is still very much clinging onto it's Muslim traditions. For some reason the Aussie crew, despite being one of the most dominant nationalities, tend to have one of the highest turnover rates. Many of them take on this job, use it purely to see different countries, and leave. Then talk about EK as treating them 'like a dog', as hard2fly puts it.(...)"

and so on... wait, i don't want to be offensive to all westerners; i'm not racist though.

just some logic, friends: who the hell goes to work for a so big company without knowing about background (i.e. salary)? on recruitment days the EK-peep don't tell you the salary on NZ dollars? go to emiratesgroupcarreers, or find a lot of infos here on PPRuNe, and then to xe.com and make it yourself, before even going to the interview in your country!
if an ozzie and kiwi and british goes to work for EK without knowing carefully all the infos concerning salary, Company Policy, company and country culture, etc., wft for complaining?
it's the applicant's fault, sorry!

and yes, you can tell i'm not a crew member and not member of the above mentioned countries, i'm from Europe, Central, and i love multi-culture and don't have any problem with different backgrounds - just with ignorance and complaining without reflection on our own faults!

peace!

Zed