PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - El Al flight nearly crashed in Jerusalem hills
Old 6th Feb 2009, 09:35
ornithopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raymond - I too have flown the approach about the same number of times. While I agree its a bit "tricky" its not all that bad. Its been a while, but if I recall you come abeam the airport at 4000ft and not below, then descend to 3000, turn the corner 180 degrees and continue descent and you are on the centreline.

I've flown it both at night and during the day and there is certainly a risk of high energy as our airline data suggests, but if one briefs accordingly, slows down early and maintains terrain awareness its not difficult.

The big problem as you say is trying to lose altitude and speed at the same time. If one comes snotting in abeam at 300 knots it'll be really difficult, but from 220 downwind (which the controllers don't mind), it works a treat.

This is from someone who first flew it from the RH seat with about 400hours total time, in a 767.

Not a standard ILS, but certainly not the hardest approach I have ever flown.

Note: I have no accurate idea of what happened to the EL Al, so make no comment, the above is about the approach only!