PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Amsterdam- SEX, DRUGS, but no breath freshner
Old 11th Apr 2001, 23:58
kippa

Some good information posted above.

I think that it is our employers responsibility to disseminate information like this.

The problem with very low level limits is that very small margins of error can have very large impact upon our livelyhood. I pointed to the abuse of breath freshner which has an alchohol base, I am told that some people's physiology can create a background level of alchohol, this would not cause problems at the higher permitted levels for driving but for flying could cause you to loser your licence.

To support this inititive we all need to know with confidence where we stand.

Free, zero jeopardy breath tests/ use of test equipment before this becomes effective would go some way to allay my fears.

Further, conviction should never be permitted upon breath test alone. A sample must be provided for independent analysis.

Do you trust your flight management not to finger a face that does not fit?

I have been breath tested in a car, (glad to say negative) I was however quite shaken by the experience. My mind raced over the event and I talked of little else for quite some time after the event. This environment is not conducive to flight safety. I think that BALPA should cast off its sheeps clothing and insist that crews subject to a check, require two hours off before flight. Believe me the only thing upon the crews mind will be the trauma of the preceding event...