PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus crash/training flight
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2009, 02:16
Lemurian

Sun worshipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twenty-one years after the service entry of the first FBW airliner, followed byb the A330, 340, B777, the Falcon X, the A380 and soon the B787 and the A350, we still find advocates of the cables-and-pullies solution.
May I just remind them that cables can break, controls can be mis-set and that happened with dire consequences.
From the B777, there will not be another airliner with mechanical links either to the flight controls or the engines. Live with it or choose another trade.
But in fact, the whole thread is about Airbus-hating, however loud the hypocritical denials are...Going just a bit farther, it's all about not trusting the dastardly conspirative (?) French, sentiment illustrated here :
If (BIG IF) the accident report were to come out showing a fault in the
FBW/computer system on board, does anyone really think that FBW will be
eliminated from this model or any other model aircraft? Of course not. But, then again, I doubt very much the report would indicate that whether it was true or not.
For D-cate in particular, this piece, written by the US-ALPA with the help of NASA could be an eye-opener. Please note that on all these manoeuvres, the Airbus showed a better performance than the Boeing, but for "subjective reasons", the test pilots still prefer the Boeing...Go figure.
At least, they were quite honest about it.
Mind you: no FBW protected aeroplane, be it Boeing, Airbus, Tupolev or Embraer, has been lost to stall or spiral dive in everyday operation yet.
Either I read you wrong or you're wrong : The Gulf Air 320 off the coast of Bahrain and the Armavia IMO qualify for these characteristics.