PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Epaulettes
Thread: Epaulettes
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2009, 00:07
Ozgrade3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to take off my wings n bars before going to the shops on the way or from work but now i just can be bothered, no one notices me, or pays attention. Often in the checkout line I'm outranked by the taxi divers and bus captains.

As a Grade 1, I have to wear 3 bars, or super wankers as my gf calls them. Sometimes the uniform works to my advantage, have recieved some discounts in shops, the Booze buss usually just waves me thru when they see the uniform.

Recently I was applying for a house to rent, first day I went to the real estate agent in shorts an sneakers and T shirt. They didnt want to know me. # days later I went back to the estate agent on the way home from work, in full iniform and they just about fell over themselves wanting to help me.

However for times i want to cover things up so to speak, I just keep a light weight jacket in the car. Good for when one wants to be incognito.

I train chinese cadets, they are a race who are very rank concious. They respond to the trimmings and bells etc. Just look at an average Asian military general/ More gold on him than a jewlery shop. While jeans n T shirt would be far more comfy, they certainly wont respect you. Also our grade 2's n 3's both wear 2 bars. Stops students having less respect for the grade 3's.

So its all about psychology really, lots of things u humans do are daft, but powerful symbols. Just dont ake it too seriusly.

Oh,..... never, ever, ever wear the wings n bars to the bar.

As they say "the bar's on..... bars off"'