PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - El Al flight nearly crashed in Jerusalem hills
Old 4th Feb 2009, 00:02
lomapaseo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PJ2

That said, any incident that was serious enough to be reported would invariably set off the GPWS, (but not by the EGPWS. Here is why I think this:

The crew likely would not have come to such a conclusion before an EGPWS warned them of terrain. A "Terrain Ahead" warning is a lot earlier than a "Terrain, PULL UP" warning from a GPWS.

In other words, it is my inclination to doubt that EGPWS was installed.

If this was the serious incident it is being portrayed as, the EGPWS would likely have gone off before the crew came to a conclusion that they were too low.

If it wasn't installed, the crew may or may not have come to their conclusions before a "GPWS Pull UP" warning, simply because such a warning is much later by virtue of the fact that it is "looking down, not ahead", (sorry, not offering a "lesson" in GPWS as I think you know all this - but expanding upon my reasons for asking, and thinking the way I have).

Raymond767's description of the approach is excellent and offers a notion on the difficulty of the approach. Perhaps this aspect was part of the incident.

OK I am with you now. But if the approach is so difficulut that it sets off an EGPWS before the crew recognizes that they are out of the box than we shoud expect accidents specifically at that airport on aircraft without EGPWS.

OK I used that dammable word "if" now does anybody have any data for unrecognized dangerous approaches to this airport bailed out by EGPWS vs last second pull-ups because they didn't have an EGPWS