PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet 5/4/5/4
Thread: easyJet 5/4/5/4
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2009, 12:33
clanger32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clara,
I've avoided the Clara bashing on here, because I don't know any of the truth of it, but if you genuinely can't see why people would want a pay rise then...well....honestly.

Flying must be just about the most expensive career anyone could choose to take up and frankly there HAS to be a return on investment that makes that worthwhile.

for the sake of demonstration, let's assume a base salary of €10000. At an exchange rate of £1=€1, that's bloody good money in anyones book. Now, how about if we raise that to €2=£1. Hmm, £5k. Suddenly not so good. Now consider the € in better times floated at around €1.5 - £1. Suddenly this doesn't seem so great, especially when NSF, an Easy training Captain suggests your figures are on the optimistic side and even then only for the best bases on a good month

Next, assuming your age profile is correct, you're 25 years old. At 25, £2000 a month DOES seem like a lot of money. Now add five years on...you'll be lucky to get a mortgage for less than £2k a month. Food, bills, fuel, car - it all adds up. Tack on a family for good measure....suddenly you'll realise just how much of a pittance £2k a month actually is for an adult. Now consider you've probably just spent at least £50k getting that licence - and in your case I believe you claim to have done the ATP scheme, so we can fairly safely assume a lot more than that. £2k a month might be ok for someone starting out with zero experience, but it needs to go up quickly or else it's just not worth it. As an example, at the current time, my wife and I (no kids YET- first due in three months) need £3k a month just to live. We're lucky we can do that easily enough, but hopefully you now see that a proper adult life costs a LOT more than you'd do your job for.

NSF - FWIW, I'm freshly qualified, first time passes in everything and I'd happily work for Easy....in the best of climates, it would be high on my list... can you organise it so I swap with Clara in the hold pool please? (well countless letters and online apps haven't realised any opps yet, begging on a forum might...)