PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight limits in falling snow
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2009, 01:30
Backward Blade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as I know as per my POH the A-Star limitations (D,BA,B2, FX2 ammendment) as previously stated are correct although god/God knows why as sometimes the limited visibility is not always created by "falling snow" but also embedded fog.

That being said if you are running an FDC filter don't forget that once the light goes on in falling precip/snow you are GROUNDED! Just a little hint here... if your light goes on in flight pay attention to your T's and P's and you may not have to land "immediatly" and may be able to land at a spot that's a little more convenient. (Note:if you are questioning what I said just follow the book)

Don't forget to DI the workings of your bypass doors prior to each flight as well. If they don't work you are grounded and is not CLEARLY mentioned in the POH. Also, when landing for any length of time in falling snow when running the FDC filter, don't forget to put a cover on it....if you get a build-up of snow on it you can/will activate the low-flow light on start-up (Could also be indicated by T4) or just after lift-off. Don't mean to be a smart-ass but once you put the cover on don't forget to WALK AROUND YOUR A/C to make sure you took it off!!!

That being said does anyone know where the limited visibility flying in snow came to pass in the POH. Just curious as I fly in Northern Canada all the time, with and without FDC filters down to 1/2 mile and have never had an issue.

Any input from you boys over on the other side of the Pond would be greatly appreciated as here in Canada, no-one can get a straight "not covering my ass" answer from the "Makers"

Fly Safe ALL

Backward Blade