PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RJ 100s at BA EOG
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2002, 09:27
Magplug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The aggrieved Capt.Pit Bull

CPB I know you find yourself in an unfortunate position and you have many words of sympathy above. Perhaps you should focus on a few harsh realities from the BA mainline perspective.

- There are 7500ish professional pilots in the UK
- About 3500 work for BA
- Up to about 2 years ago BA had the best T&C of any operator in UK and was the employer of choice at the top of any CV list.

- Every CEP position was sought by literally thousands of hopefuls.

- High calibre type-rated DEP candidates were attracted from other airlines as well as pilots ex HM Forces.

- CFE was at that time one of the lowest paid scheduled operators in the country (perhaps THE lowest) and was obliged to draw it's recruits from comensurately lower down the food chain.

Now I am no advocate of BA selection but one wonders just how many of our new colleagues were turned down by BA at application or during selection. OK not 100% applied but I would suggest only a small minority did not for domestic or age reasons.

So when CFE became instantly incorporated into the fold the Selectors immediately threw up their arms in disgust and went home, having wasted the last X years of their time.

Having been handed a BA seniority number on a plate was extremely fortuitous for you and I wish you only the best.

I understand from your earlier post that you took 2 years to command in CFE, please forgive me if that is incorrect. You appear to think that a simple direction to a Command on 737/Airbus will be benignly recieved by the mainline pilot corps?

Or having to jump through a few hoops to retain a training appointment onto another fleet?

On behalf of those who sweated and grafted their way through succesful selection and training I can tell you have seriously misjudged the mood.

Last edited by Magplug; 18th Apr 2002 at 09:35.