PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAA Set to abolish Registered Training Facilities
Old 2nd Feb 2009, 05:53
Camp Freddie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mr sasless

If I practice EOL's....even if it is power recovery....does it matter where I do that? I am sure engines fail during cruise while between airfields.
unfortunately we have a bad system that if you come within 500ft of a vessel/person/vehicle/structure at an unlicenced site (such as a field) as you might do on a practice approach during your practice forced landing that you are breaking the law, unless it is a normal takeoff and landing in accordance with normal aviation practice.

a structure may be just a fence or a telephone line, it is very difficult to always be more than 500ft away from anything, even out in the countryside

so why not land you say in accordance with normal aviation practice? well you are not allowed to land either during a training flight at an unlicenced site.

If we use the conventional wisdom here...then practice force landings outside the traffic pattern would be unsafe, unapproved, and not a done thing.
in practice people do them but are always aware that they are taking a risk if they go below 500ft off airfield

How do you practice confined area operations without finding a hole in the woods somewhere? Any pinnacles found on airfields ?
in practice people either know a friendly farmer in the local area with a good confined area or they just take the risk of finding a confined area and hope nobody complains, especially if they are within 500ft of something. and once they are in the confined area, you have the crazy situation that you cant touch the ground as you would landing at an unlicenced site

regards

CF