PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAA Set to abolish Registered Training Facilities
Old 1st Feb 2009, 11:47
nellycopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
low hour CPL

Although i may not fully understand the ins and out of all the abreviated terms as i am relativly new to rotary flying, (3years 400hrs)
i have to agree with eddietcapt... in that during my training i had three or four instructors due to my regular one being away on other business etc.
two out of the four didnt hold a cpl, the two that did hold their cpl - i refused to learn with after just a few lessons.
i suppose its like anything else - the one who has the experience ie: 1000's of hours has usually been there, done it, hat, tee shirt etc... and in my opinion is the better instructor.......
the low hour cpl's were learning as they were teaching - dont fly over water, lets not do too many auto's, trees oooh - keep away from them......
in short - i was taught the what if approach - by a very experienced pilot and to date still have that extra lesson as i feel you never stop learning how to fly.... much the same as your car test - you take your test - then you learn how to drive !!!
licenced airfields fto's, RF's abc's .......... fact is - most people (not all...) who want to learn to fly a helicopter has the dosh to own one and operate it from their home - or at the very least take it home from time to time !!! and plonk it in the garden...
whats the point of doing all the training from an airfield where theres a nice long strip of tarmak a cafe full of fixed wing people chewig the fat.....
the heli doesnt need all this, surley it would be better to be tought what you will actually do with the machine than do it after your test and risk it going tits up ?
like it does many times........ unfortunatly !!

how many of you others were tought - up for a think not down for a look ! when you accidently get into cloud or low vis....?????
the cpl's responce was rubbish - get it down -.......

not saying all flying schools are the same that are based at airfields there probably are some really good ones with very experienced pilots -
but in the short time i have been flying most i have visited seem to be on some sort of ego trip - stiring the brown stuff at everone else in the industry who is just trying to make a living !!

just my opion -