PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - India- A New Chopper Destination
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2009, 04:37
Hidden Agenda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Yarba,
Sounds like an experience I had once upon a time with a major Norwegian company. Sh1t happens, everywhere!

I would suggest to you that the HR lady was only doing the job she was being paid to do and that the Operations Manager made you an offer he probably wasn’t authorised to do. When looking for a job it is very important to find out who has the authority to hire; it varies between companies, some companies even use a committee.

I also detect what SIIS called ‘an attitude’.

I have no doubt that the incident ‘wok3’ described happened, I also suspect that there was no follow up action by the employee. India has good labour laws, although compensation is hardly worth pursuing. If it is a matter of principle then he might get some satisfaction. A solicitor’s letter might be all that it would take to get the payment released. It should be borne in mind that nearly all operator’s in India have ‘morphed’ from corporate Flight Departments and that there is a big organisation behind them. So generally it is not worth their while to stiff people and suffer adverse publicity. If ‘www’ or his source wishes to PM me I have a friend who might be prepared to take it up. I say might because there are always two sides to the story and I know of expat pilots who left India covered in something, and it wasn’t glory. An example I heard of involved a French pilot who was developing a reasonable reputation with his employers, until his ‘lady’ arrived in country, after which he developed ‘an attitude’. When added to her ‘attitude’ it was too much for his employers and he was fired even though his induction flying training was barely complete.

It is always worth trying to modify your behaviour as the visitor to blend in with the local society. Generally it works better for you, and you achieve more. Most Indians, in India, that are in a position to interact with foreigners, when given the opportunity will display a level of politeness and kindness that hasn’t been seen in the 1st world in 50 years...mind that is not to say they wouldn’t ‘shank’ you in the back without batting an eyelid if you invite or deserve it.

Last edited by Hidden Agenda; 31st Jan 2009 at 04:48.