PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RJ 100s at BA EOG
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2002, 18:33
Capt Pit Bull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HomerJ,

I find your attitude somewhat disagreeable. Specifically, this issue of the selection process and that somehow the ex-CFE community can not really consider itself as being 'proper' BA pilots due to not having done it.

Just take a step back and look at it from my point of view. I'm sitting here and imagining the future. A future in which HomerJSimpson, or someone of similar viewpoint, might have an important say in my future. For example, say you become management and have to interview a selection of candidates for a training position.

Is the fact that I originated from CFE going to be held against me? Even if you don't consciously think so, the way I read your post, and several other 'proper' BA pilots over the last 2 years, your prejudice against us can be seen protruding between the lines.

Is our background going to blight the rest of our careers? Because that's what it looks like to me. And it fills me with despair. Any time anyone feels like it, they'll just reach into the closet of history and just whip out the "you didn't do the selection procedure, you're not worthy" arguement. I made this point in the various arguements last year, and sure enough here we are, 1 year later, and you're doing it.

To reiterate a point I made last year, the purpose of a selection process is to assess suitability for training. All ex CFE pilots have completed at least 1, more usually 2, and sometimes 3 type ratings in a BA approved and audited training system. I say the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Not to mention the fact that CFE had a selection process as well, which many individuals have failed. By way of a specific example, my sim partner on the ATR back in '96 failed the CFE training, but subsequently passed BA selection.

Should I consider BA cadets arriving on my fleet as being suspect because thay have not passed a CFE selection? Of course not.

I don't want to get into a Pythonesque "When I were a lad" speech, but the point is that there is no question that the CFE mob are a tried and tested group of pilots and deserve to be considered as such.

As far as SSs comments go, why not ask yourself why his bracketed point of view has given way to the unbracketed? Whats made him change?

Think about my point of view. I was quite happy based at LGW flying the RJ, on my 5 year type freeze. The lack of seniority, whilst insulting, was of little immediate practical concern because of the freeze. I wouldn't have presumed to displace someone from 'proper' BA from a seat they wanted because I didn't need to. And neither (I would think) did SS.

But if it reaches the point where its down to me or somebody from BA proper to get a choice job, then as I understand it, depending on how the surplus is declared on the shrinking RJ fleet, I may recieve preference. Should that happen, here will be my feelings:

If the displaced individual joined pre '96 (i.e. has been in the group longer) then I'll feel a measure of guilt, combined with the hope that the individual gets their desired post at the soonest opportunity.

If the displaced individual joined the BA group after me, then I'll just view it as a rightful reclamation of unfairly witheld seniority, take the job and not bat an eyelid.

All I want to do is fly LHS out of LGW. I've been doing the former for 4 years, and the latter for 6 years. I fail to see why recent joiners to the BA group via the 'proper' selection procedure, should expect to displace me. If the RJ is going, I expect LHS on whatever replaces it in the shorthaul role, be it 737 next year or A320 series later. Seniority be damned.

CPB