PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadet Gliding pix in the 80s (pre glass)
Old 30th Jan 2009, 14:31
wz662

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was once on the recieving end of a low flying complaint from the Captain of The Queens Flight
As newly joined CI with 612 at Benson I had been racking up the 1 minute and 2 minute flight times logged for Mk IIIs doing cable breaks. Retrieving the Mk III involved a trailer and required live ballast (usually the student) in the cockpit to take the strain off the skid. From the far end of the 06 run the quickest way back to the launch point was via the apron and right past the window of the said Captain. As the landrover/trailer/Mk III combo passed his window he looked up and saw only the glider with me in it apparently flying at very low level down the apron We still laugh at the memory of the incident today.
One of the two Barges that 612 had was VX275 which was the oldest barge with the Cadets having been presented in 1947 and named 'Venture' although we always referred to it by the name of the lady who presented it "Mrs Hepple" VX275 was last heard of in the RAF Museum's store at Stafford. I'd love to reaquaint myself with her.