PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadet Gliding pix in the 80s (pre glass)
Old 29th Jan 2009, 22:08
621andy

Location: Either somewhere in the 3rd world, the land of cheese and wine, or possibly very occasionally, at home.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some lovely shots on the 633 site, shame they're all too small though Nice one of 877(Another one of ours)

I remember we had a winch that had done service at 617 at some point, as carved into the backplate of the cab were the words

'617- The Winch Busters'

Thinking back, our fleet for many years consisted of the following;

WB991 Barge
XA310 Mk3
XA308 Mk3
XN240 Mk3
WT877 Mk3

But as the glass started to arrive, our complement seemed to change almost weekly. I can remember XE791, but the others will have to wait until I get back to so-called civilisation

According to the Oracle (John Stride), all the XE series had a rigging problem and were much more likely to spin off a stall I remember one of our Instructors coming back white as a sheet after intentionally 'trying out' a spin in a Mk3....he didn't do it again There was a good reason why spinning was banned Apparently, they didn't come out too easily. As they lost height anyway at the speed of a polished house brick, then recovering from a spin must've been very 'interesting'