PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RFI: Phantom crash, 1435 Flt late 1980s
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2009, 08:41
im from uranus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was a liney on 19 SQN at the time.

We were on det in Deci and on walking into the line hut in the morning to start work we were told 'Everybody in the crewroom, Jengo wants a word.' (Not Stavros from post 24, it was the other one!). So there we were, all thinking 'what the hell did we do last night?' when the Jengo walks in and says ' OK lads, I'll get straight to the point. Mongo and CJ have bought it in the Falklands (His words, not mine), there's a Herc inbound, we're going home. Don't worry about the jets, the Jag guys are sorting them out for us. Back to the block and pack your kit.'

You could have heard a pin drop. We all stood there wondering if it was a wind up. Sadly it wasn't.

So we get back to Wildenrath that evening and all the singlies dump their baggage off at BB70 and head to the Mally. We walk in (about 30 of us) and the place falls silent! Go to the bar, get drinks and get completely wasted. I don't think anyone begrudged our singing that night.

A short time later the memorial service was held in the church at Wildenrath with many ex 19 guys flying in to attend. After the service we had to get out of No1's and get back to work as the families of Mongo and CJ were visiting the SQN to see their boys jets. All the groundcrew were stuck in the soft, not allowed outside until the families had departed, when all of a sudden the Wing Co (N.S?) walks in with Mongo's mother. 'All in the crewroom, NOW!'
Then Ian's mum stands there and says 'I just wanted to say thank you for looking after my son's aircraft. He loved flying and spoke of you a lot. Without you, he would have never have been able to fly, so thank you very much.'

That was unbelieveable and very much appreciated.

I still think of them both. They were great lads, simple as that.

Oh dear, seem to have a bit of dust in my eye, must dash....

Last edited by im from uranus; 30th Jan 2009 at 06:42.