PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two Air Mishaps Averted In Lagos And Abuja
Old 27th Jan 2009, 21:02
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
System is working...

Hey, just 20-odd years there, gone for about three and-a-bit and check it out!

Guys still orbit until they nearly run out of fuel and then blame the destination airport for being closed? (Last I remember, the poor old ATC guys were not allowed to tell you when the airport should re-open when closed for VIP movements! You were reduced to guessing but only a fool wouldn't have diversion fuel faced with a closed Nigerian airport. I once had a newbie Chief Pilot goggling at the way I ordered two hours fuel just to do three TOLs, when I simply told him, "You are new here." Take off with 45 minutes fuel for "just three circuits" and then they close the airport. Okay, genius, now what? )

BA keep a load of pax on an aircraft instead of putting them... where, exactly? Unless Kano Airport has changed out of all recognition there isn't anywhere suitable as being clean and comfortable! So this is the fault of BA for being inhumane to their passengers because they are Nigerians, as if they would have not done the very best they could have under trying circumstances for any passengers and never mind their nationality?

LJT embodies something or other that makes him such a worthy spokesman, albeit a self-nominated one, for his country. Perhaps it is his command of English or the way he shows such grace under pressure; I really could not say. I have the feeling I must have known him or at least had him shouting at me on 118.1 for crossing his path on some Lagos taxiway.

I have been working in North Africa for about two years now. It is still Africa but sooo much more relaxed than Nigeria. You try to pull out into traffic here and people actually slow down to let you in! People use zebra crossings to walk across the street here rather than doing that very convincing horizontal imitation of a man falling out of a tree just trying to make it across the road alive, Nigeria-style.

It is the little things I really miss. Stop for a red light (they do that here, really!) and no "Rat Quench" man appears. Boring!