PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Atlanta Icelandic
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2009, 19:36
Kato747

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So far, this thread has degenerated to new lows !

C'mon guys, you can't really hold the Icelandic crews responsible for displacing ex-patriot crews on Fixed Bases, whether it's in KUL or JED, or anywhere else for that matter. Individually, they did not move any of us out of our little niche in the empire. If "YOU" had been offered a fixed base position somewhere outside the EU, or even Iceland.. which offered a much lower cost of living (and MUCH better weather)... I doubt you would have been concerned that you were displacing your fellow colleagues....... whew !.... I almost erroneously used the word "employees".

Face it ! The ex-pat contractors were just that..... contractors employed for a fixed term with absolutely NO RIGHTS or recourse against the vagueries of AAI management. Whether the dismissals were illegal or not, It's a simple case of supply and demand and has nothing to do with the fact the ex-pat contractors have been the ones who kept the company afloat for many years. It's blatantlly political and collectively nepotistic in a macro kinda way.

It's an Icelandic company, flying Icelandic registered aircraft, with only Icelandic employees. Why do you think the ex-pats were never offered union representation? WE WERE NOT AAI EMPLOYEES !!!! That's the reason our contracts were issued by ACE, Airborne Personnel, and Direct..... to cover AAI's corporate ass. Arngrimmur wasn't stupid, he just didn't foresee how much a threat the FIA/FFF could, and did, become. They are now victims of their own success. The schizm between "THEM" and "US" will never be mended.

Some have mentioned "seniority" amongst the contractors ranks. I, for one, resemble that remark.... (pun intended).....but am merely saddened, not surprised, by the lack of reciprocity of loyalty and integrity from a company I had once been proud to work with. Many of the most professional aviators I have ever worked with have been summarilly sacked with NO regard for their long service and professionalism.

AAI is having serious problems paying for the state of the world economy (and that of Iceland) and also for some rather grievous past errors in basic management. They would be the first to admit there was, at least 'some' pressure from FIA/FFF to arrive at a solution, but even FIA/FFF didn't cause this latest fiasco.

Squabbling about who's paying taxes, and where, isn't going to help the situation. Past disagreements between AAI and the Icelandic tax authority have been largely resolved. The Icelander's salaries and perdiems are taxable as far as I have been led to believe, the perdiem "loop-hole" was closed (or at least tightened) several years ago. Another thread, in a different forum, even addresses the lack of work permits in Malaysia....c'mon fellas.....

What good can come from bitching about all of this? It's not going to get your job back..... consider this... would you want it back knowing what you know now?

hmmmmm.... oh yeah, mortgages/rent, food, clothing for the kids....... The 90% contract, coming soon, is a juicy technicolor fart in your face and shows how much AAI respects your abilities and expertise. There's no road back to the status quo.. It'll be years before you can recover the loss of benefits.

For those of you still on contract, I wish you well, no hard feelings....... For all the others, including myself, learn from this and strive not to repeat past mistakes ............Good luck with the mortgages and school fees !

Kato

Last edited by Kato747; 27th Jan 2009 at 20:18.