PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair-Questions, comments, bouquets & brickbats (Merged)
Old 26th Jan 2009, 22:24
CorkEICK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabin luggage

Ryanair have new policy and are advising all customers via email etc prior to their flights. It was also carried by the press when announced on 20 JAN 2009.

I would just like to point out to the poster who said their bag, despite being over limit, fitted the overhead no problem - Im sure it did but it is obvioulsy going to take up more space than allowed and eating into space for other passengers. I often can find no space for a bag about 20cm x 20cm x 15cm. I saw last week a lady place a bag that was at least 75% larger than the max permitted and as the fight only had 45 pax she had no problem finding space for it. I would estimate it was at least 15 maybe even 20 kgs based on the struggle placing it in and removing it from the overhead. It required both hands to move it and she had great difficulty going down the airstairs. At bottom of steps she had to stop and take a "well earned" rest. By the way she was, how would I put it, very strong looking and I certainly would not like to recieve a slap from her!!

News Release

No Exceptions to Ryanair's Cabin Baggage Allowance

1 MILLION €/£10 SEATS TO CELEBRATE 10KG FREE CABIN BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE

PASSENGER ATTEMPTS TO CARRY FIVE PIECES OF HAND LUGGAGE ONBOARD

Ryanair, Europe’s largest and most punctual low fares airline, today (20th Jan) confirmed that there will be no exceptions to its passenger Cabin Baggage Allowance in response to the growing number of passengers carrying more than one piece of hand baggage and after one passenger attempted to carry FIVE items of hand luggage onboard an aircraft.

Ryanair’s generous free cabin baggage allowance, of 10kg per passenger, is restricted to one bag into which passengers must place all handbags, laptops etc. This policy is enforced across the network, to ensure fairness to all passengers.

Ryanair passengers who do not comply and present with more than one piece of hand luggage will be charged €/£30 at the departure gate and have their bag placed in the aircraft’s hold. Passengers can half this charge by opting to check-in a bag at the time of their booking or before they travel.

Ryanair highlighted its generous FREE 10kg cabin baggage allowance by releasing 1 million €/£10 seats for travel across its European network in February and March which are available for booking on www.ryanair.com before midnight Sunday 25th January.

Ryanair’s Stephen McNamara said:

“Ryanair’s generous cabin baggage allowance permits passengers to carry one piece of cabin baggage of up to 10kg onto our aircraft. Due to the large increase in passengers abusing this allowance Ryanair will now charge passengers for each additional piece of carry on luggage.

“Passengers are made clearly aware of their cabin allowance at the time of their booking and it is also printed on their online boarding cards. Passengers who are unable to place items into one bag and refuse to make the additional payments will not be permitted to travel. We are highlighting our 10kg one bag baggage policy by releasing 1million €/£10 seats for travel in February and March.”

Additional Information

Each passenger (excluding infants) is permitted to carry one piece (in total) of cabin baggage on board (free of charge). It should weigh no more than 10kg and not exceed the maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm. Due to security restrictions, certain items cannot be carried in cabin baggage. We reserve the right to cancel any reservation without refund and deny boarding if a passenger arrives at the boarding gate with more than one item of cabin baggage or an item that exceeds the maximum dimensions. Infants do not qualify for a cabin baggage allowance (although a pram / buggy will be carried free of charge).

Restrictions apply to liquids, gels, pastes, lotions or cosmetics carried in hand baggage. For further information please see www.ryanair.com.