PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Storm clouds at Servisair DUB
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2002, 19:46
rampgrunt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmm well the staff on the ramp doesn't move all that quick anyways so they may as well be on strike......
Ouch. That's a bit below the belt! WE might not always run, that's dangerous, but as far as I'm concerned, the guys at the sharp end do a pretty good job most of the time. We can't help it if the airlines want a turnround in unrealistic times! A much bigger hassle is the problem of just how long it takes to get on blocks after landing, and the even longer delays waiting to push after it's all wrapped up, and it's just got even worse with the new temporary procedures in the high 30's & 40's!

Considering certain people are in management who have no knowledge of how to motivate people and get the best out of them i'm not surprised that they are up the creek without a paddle......
No comment, on the grounds it WILL incriminate me

Now i want to know "what really happened with that high loader that hit the DAL MD11"....did it really have a total hydraulics failure??? if so how did it still manage to move forward....
Wasn't there on the day, but from what I can gather, and there's been a serious load of investigation on this, including several trials at reproducing the event off the ramp, a major feed line from the main pump ruptured while the thing was being repositioned from one hold to the other, which resulted in total failure of ALL hydraulic systems, including the brakes and emergency brakes. It was moving, and several tonnes of hardware doesn't just stop dead if there's no resistance in the hydraulic lines, which it appears is what this fault precipitated.

If my information is correct, it seems that the manufacturer has become involved, as some of the "advertised" features re stopping failed to operate as advertised