PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Child seat belts
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2009, 14:27
TCU

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Child seat belts

I have a young son (now 3) who has travelled with us since new born. Up to the age of 2 he of course did not need his own seat and was able to travel on either my or my wife’s lap. Since the age of two he has had the benefit of his own seat. As a rule of thumb anything sub 4hrs we fly economy and 4hrs + Business.

There have been odd occasions (e.g. flying in poor weather, to keep him amused and informed of what is going on, non standard seat arrangements etc) where despite him having his own seat I have requested and been given a child lap belt so that he could sit with me for the take-off and landing phases. Airlines accommodating this wish have included Qatar, SAA and BA.

Last week flying back from the US with BA in Club the crew member I spoke to refused my request simply stating he was over two years old. I was not inclined to argue although pointed out that BA colleagues had given me a belt just three weeks previously on the way out. Indeed on that particular flight I had handed the child belt back during the flight and it was returned to me again prior to landing. I also note the BA safety card shows a very clear picture of a small child (not a baby) restrained on the lap belt

Out of interest and to avoid any future mis-understanding I would appreciate Cabin Crew advice on this issue.

BTW I acknowledge Danny’s ruling, but this seems the only forum where I will get a learned answer