PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue Cabin Crew EBA
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2009, 00:25
skyshow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone specifically asked at the roadshow due to an increase of 10.15hrs max a day from 9.45hrs, will layovers drop? Answer was layovers will drop to 0.3% per month (3 per year per crew member was said) which is minimal. Maybe your figure of 10% was if we went up to 11hrs max? Who knows how many layovers (in other words $$$) will be lost with new crew bases but some will obviously. Perth base is coming in 2009 (a lot of E-Jet flying makes it viable).

As for Perth returns – Can’t we actually technically do them now but the scheduling doesn’t do it? Or is it true we were out by about 10 minutes? Qantas do and they (currently) have the same duty hour limitations as us (9.45hrs) I think. Unless the B767 is quicker hence reduces flying time enough to make it a legal shift? Any information?

Also heard our 1 hour sign ons will be reduced to 50 minutes. Anyone heard the same? Maybe now that its just E-Jets to ADL and BME from PER this 10 minute saving is enough to quickly send the B737 crews home as a day trip! Think ahead guys... There's a smart reason for everything. B737 in Perth will only be for DPS, SYD, MEL, BNE so they wouldn’t need many crew overnighting there. Better to send them back east as a day trip.

As for opening up bases with a softening domestic aviation demand is a bad idea – I disagree. Virgin Blue are about to announce soon further international flying, are they not? So I think there’s still room for another base or two, as we will still have the aircraft we have but just redeploying to newer destinations away from domestic. Otherwise the aircraft just sit there. A Perth base for example will be great for Bali returns. Also was told at an unplugged session for a base to be efficient enough to open you need at least 5 aircraft parked there a night. As for having currently a full compliment of staff, they will let attrition take its course in due time so that wouldn’t be a problem. And as for those thinking Virgin Blue will employ crew on different contracts of employment (like Qantas has) they have specifically stated this is bad for morale and service standards and they will not go down this path. For an airline that relies a lot on its customer service to get business, its a smart idea to keep the staff happy.

Also, I haven't heard about DTA being brought down off the cards.... I had my roadshow recently and the DTA of a pathetic $3 - $3.30 was presented. Obviously they’re not going to offer a higher DTA than this because if they did then we will be getting more $$$. That’s why the cap’s on at $3.30, and they will tell you this at the roadshow.