PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FlyLAL (Lithuanian airlines)
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2009, 18:29
RIX BT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One more wievpoint of this...

23.01.09: Goodbye, flyLAL
Category: News, politics, and such Posted by: rene
Lithuanian Airlines has ceased its operations. I sincerely hope that this will allow airBaltic to get one step closer to the inevitable (and in my opinion desirable) goal to become a regional airline that is at home in all three Baltic States. Honestly, I had been waiting for this moment - even though, of course, I at the same time feel sorry for the employees who lose their jobs in the course of these events.

And I read flyLAL's last press release, where one line blames "unfair market conditions" (among other factors, of course) for the airline's death. Unfair? From all I know, I'd say you were outperformed, guys.

The press release, which can be seen under flyLAL, also mentions the still pending "unfair competition" lawsuit against airBaltic.

More quotes? Here you go (exact words and grammar): "Being the citizens of the Republic of Lithuania we are sure that only national carrier can secure the interests of the state itself. Therefore flyLAL (...) is open for further proposals, which can secure further direct flights from Vilnius to various destinations." (Vytautas Kaikaris, CEO).
In what way exactly can 'only a national carrier' secure the interests of the state? What are state interests in that case in the first place? Aren't we rather talking about citizen's interest in direct flights from an airport in their proximity? That's not primarily a state interest, but a people's interest. In what way could 'only a national carrier' secure these interests? And isn't it so that a few months back, airBaltic had about as many direct flights operating from Vilnius as flyLAL (if not more!), not to mention a lot of excellent connection flights via Riga? That was when airBaltic allegedly performed what flyLAL calls "unfair competition", and what I call "smart business strategy versus a local airline that has simply failed to understand that times DO change".
Mister Kaikaris still believes in the state to heal all wounds? Believes that an airline's purpose to exist is to secure interests of a state? That an airline has to be state-owned or 'national' in order to serve the interests of the people (or the government, for whatever that should mean)?
It's 2009, for god's sake.
And the game is called business.

So, quo vadis, airBaltic (unfortunately also still 52.6% state-owned)?
Well, the management buy-out of the SAS stake (47.2% they say; wonder where the 0.2 remaining percent are) seems to be coming in the nearest days, which I think is a step forward (I would have preferred a scenario in which the Latvian State would have sold its stake to SAS, and then Lufthansa buying SAS, but I admit that's a bit much to wish for). Maybe the Latvian State will finally sell its stake nevertheless - I think this would be another step forward. Lufthansa, where's your offer? Come on, you got the cash!

permalink: renefischer.net - stuff blog » Goodbye, flyLAL