PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bad Decision
Thread: Bad Decision
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2009, 14:49
corsair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He may or may not be a troll but people like him are not unique. In love the with 'airline pilot' idea. I may not be completely appreciative of my job and I do look on with envy when something paraffin burning and shiny passes above or below me. But the very idea that I would quit an actual flying job and sit at home waiting for the 'real' job to turn up is absurd.

I have come across this mentality a few times. Met a few new pilots who actually refused flying work because it's literally beneath them. Usually they're integrated graduates. This is not a dig at all integrated graduates. It's simply that that integrated training is basically sold as airline pilot training when it's simply pilot training. Some people buy into the whole sales pitch. 'Here I am in an airline pilot training school training to be an airline pilot'. So a mere turboprop or an old, slow basic aeroplane is not for them.

They come out of training expecting to be snapped up by some jet carrier. Essentially I blame the FTOs, they positively nurture that attitude from their advertising right through the training. It's not surprising then that many a naive young, newly hatched pilot, clutching a licence and ratings are dismayed that all is not as rose tinted as they were told.

It's a regular thing here on PPRuNe. Someone whinging that they left OAA/FTE/CABAIR two months ago, with first time passes and an average of 99.99% in their ATPLs having spent a small fortune on their training and nobody has offered them a job yet! Is life unfair or what? And that was during the 'good' times.

The poor little darlings. Life can be so cruel