PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Requirements for Tailwheel Endorsment
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2009, 23:05
AerocatS2A

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I did my first tailwheel endo in a PA18-100 Cub and was taught wheelers and 3-pointers. Subsequently in the cub I generally did whatever landing seemed appropriate at the time.

I then started flying a Pitts S2A and was cautioned not to wheel it because it has a shorter couple between the main wheels and C of G with the tail up and tends to be pitchy and twitchy. I did 600 hours in it (about 2000 landings) and never bothered trying to wheel it, 3-pointers worked nicely and, as someone else mentioned above, you can't see anything out the front anyway.

The guy who cautioned me about wheelers in the Pitts sent me away in a Tiger Moth but suggested that wheelers were the easiest way to land one. I've tried both and agree with him, so Tigers normally get a wheel landing from me. I found the Harvard easier to wheel on as well, but the Maule would get 3-pointers.

I've never flown a Polikarpov, but when there was a gaggle of them at Wanaka all the pilots had different ideas on how to land them. I saw the prop on one chewing up grass during a rather tail high wheeler.

Ultimately it seemed that each aircraft lends itself to one type of landing or the other, but I think it's a bit lacking not to train both types in the beginning.