PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Requirements for Tailwheel Endorsment
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2009, 02:32
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting observation djpil. When I did my TW endo I had about 40 hours TT (RPPL) and the fella that did my training owned a Pitts S2a. He never showed me wheeler landings even in the last hour of xwind circuits on the old cross runway at YSBK. 3 pointers into wind and '2 pointers' crosswind...and that was how I flew the Decathlon (and later the Tiger Moth) until after I had flown the C185 in PNG years later. I taught myself wheelers in the 185.

In PNG I ended up training people on the 185...most from scratch with no previous TW time...all struggled with wheeler landings and as strong x winds were not an issue usually and wheeler landings are not a great idea on short, rough, steep, muddy jungle strips I invariably, having demoed wheelers and watched them bounce wheelers into nice, safe 'recovery' 3 pointers, signed them out and let them work wheelers out for themselves later. All did. As my first CP said to me.."Doesn't matter a fck if you bounce as long as you bounce in a straight line"

Last month I hopped in a mate's brother's late model C180 at YCAB and did several nice xwind wheelers and then got a little slow and bounced the into wind 3 pointer but we bounced in a straight line

C185skywagon...Check your PMs. He has plans to tour the East Coast and I think it wont take much arm twisting for a flyin/pissup at Cherribah.

The aircraft is in a 40' container enroute WA as we speak. This pic was taken by the previous owner...a 777 captain/LAME in Texas who completed a ground up restoration on it 10+ years ago.