PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Requirements for Tailwheel Endorsment
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2009, 21:57
djpil

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
In WW2 training movies for pilots transitioning onto NW aircraft they simply say, over and over, DONT be 'nose-wheel conscious' just land normally.
The thing is that for those fortunate enough to have learnt on aircraft with a conventional landing gear, the above statement is true. It is also true for those who apply their new skills more broadly. It doesn't work for those trained on NW aircraft and transitioning to conventional landing gear. Anyone who has only flown PA-28s I tell to go away and learn how to fly before I'll take them in a Decathlon.
I find that most people have enough trouble learning just one other new way of landing an aeroplane so I just teach threepointers. Crosswinds up to the AFM limit are fine with that technique. The same technique is suitable for transition into flying a Pitts.
Once pilots have some solo experience I'm happy to do wheelers with them - its their choice.
For those who seek a tailwheel endorsement to go and fly something else then I'll happily teach wheelers too. I also do wheelers with instructors who want to teach on tailwheels.
However, my typical student sticks with the Decathlon. From memory, that old draft CASA MOS supported my approach above. I'm sure that my insurance company would agree too.

On the other hand, one of my good friends, an instructor who I regard as a master of tailwheel operations disagrees with me - he insists on wheelers as well in the endorsement.

Recommended reading are these notes from Rich Stowell although with an American flavour and their rules.

Two excellent books are avalable locally.