PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Requirements for Tailwheel Endorsment
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2009, 17:31
Mr & Mrs Rocketboots

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Canada we have a new generation who seem to think that teaching the wheel landing is not needed....mostly because they were never taught them because their instructors couldn't do them. And thus the dumbing down of aviation continues.
Now that is scary. Guess they don't go flying in strong winds, do crosswind landings amongst other times a wheeler is necessary.

I have done most of my flying with nw aircraft and due to an employment opportunity recently, I now instruct on tw a/c. It has certainly improved my flying skills and solved the complacent Piper pilot feet as they have to dance a lot more! I get the most pleasure out of a perfectly executed wheeler landing, especially on a challenging day.

The school where I instruct only has tail wheel aircraft on line for training, so the students know no different at the ab-initio stage. Later on in their flying I should imagine the skills taught will stand them in good stead.

All of our students are taught 3 point and wheeler landings as a matter of course. As it says on our training notes - "some days a wheeler landing is the only way of getting the aircraft down in one piece".

Last edited by Mr & Mrs Rocketboots; 22nd Jan 2009 at 17:59. Reason: Add further comment