PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Requirements for Tailwheel Endorsment
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2009, 16:14
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well maybe I should have said 'similar' and perhaps that is a product of the vast majority of my tailwheel time (just shy 1000hrs) being in Cessna 185s and the vast majority of that 3 pointing or tail low wheelers into crappy little jungle strips in my youth...maybe 1 landing in 10 a wheel landing on a sealed runway. Only have a handful of hours in oleo undercarriage tail draggers which seemed easier to wheel land on sealed runways.

I have flown Winjeel(1950s RAAF trainer)/C180/V35/C210 in the last year or so and I honestly don't see a huge difference until the main wheels touch.

These days I am lucky to fly Cessna's finest maybe two or three times a year...I certainly don't lay claim to the polish of my youth

That is slowly changing though...more mates are buying Cessna tail draggers...I get to sample a mates recently purchased C195 in April and another has recently finished a ground up restoration on his early 60s 185

To answer the thread starter...my initial TW training, early 80s, was 3 hours in a Decathlon.

Last edited by Chimbu chuckles; 22nd Jan 2009 at 16:37.