PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Standards of training/english
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2009, 20:28
UnderneathTheRadar
When you live....

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Standards of training/english

[Rant]

Had cause yesterday to fly a few places not normally visited and spend a bit of time listening to the airways. Based on this limited sample, it would seem that the qualitity of both english and 'solo' students is way down.

Highlights from yesterday included:

1. MB tower to aircraft sitting at holding point for extended period of time (no previous call) - "Sportstar at the holding point, advise when ready". Reply "I would like to take off please".

2. Melbourne centre to VFR around Romsey - many calls unanswered then finally VFR calls for area QNH. Asked to set transponder to mode C, centre is told that it is - but miraculously altitude data then appears. Told that he's a mile from the CTA step, reply - ok, descending now. Told to expedite descent to 3500 - reply it's ok, I'm already at 4000' (and inside CTA) - absolutely no concept of urgency.

3. Melbourne centre to VFR north of Kilmore - (at least this guy responded) - "squawk ident" - reply was unintelligible. 2 more repeats followed by centre "push the button on your transponder that says 'ident'". Finally message gets through - importantly because centre was trying to advise him of traffic 1 mile ahead, same level and catching.

4. (and this isn't just aimed at students) - repeated, repeated requests for VFR aircraft to identify themselves being ignored. Up around Mangalore this is a frequent frequent occurance.

Hats off to all the ATC who have to deal with obviously unprepared, unready students being sent off into the skies. I couldn't do it.

[/rant]

UTR