PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - South African Professional Licensing.
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2009, 23:19
Bucket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Folks, the emphasis here cannot be a direct comparison between the JAA and the SA systems per se since no valid comparisons can be made. They are not even parallel in their depth of content not time line of study.

I was attempting to hold up what I believe to be a better (JAA) model to which the South Africa CAA should look at and take note of since it has been fine tuned and well developed over the course of many years. The SA acedemic system does not appear to have enjoyed the same progress.

A clear distinction must also be made when looking at pilots transiting from one license system to another by converting a licence. Those from either camp will naturally benefit from prior knowledge since there is always a commonality in the basics; look afresh at my opening paragraph then consider the following.

The JAA route as undertaken for the intergrated course in the UK (for example) takes pre-selected multi-cultural, multi-ethnic entrants of a very high calibre and sets them on a path where the fulfilment of the training syllabus ultimately produces graduate pilots whose knowledge base is far in excess of anything that the SA system presently generates. Whats more, the process completely by passes the CPL (its not even a consideration) and goes straight to the ATPL level.

In one example that I can think of the students do not see the inside of an aircraft until ALL the ATPL exams are passed. Only once the student has proven him or herself acedemically is the college then happy to embark on the costly flight training.

Doesn't this make sense too??

Would not a great amount of South African tax payers money be saved if this line of thinking was adopted by SAA for the cadet scheme?

Clearly those pilots who already hold a licence will benefit from prior knowledge even if it means blowing out few cobwebs.

And finally and perhaps most importantly the industry benefits; knowledgable, presentable, keen and highly motivated newly qualified pilots ready for type training and employment with flag carriers and other high profile airlines.

Ask yourself this, are you aware of ANY South African airline who routinely hires 250hr graduate pilots fresh out of flight training school with no previous experience to fly a shiny turbo-prop/jet of X tonnes with fare paying passengers on board.

Everything is in place in South Africa to effect the simple change required. You need only to look at events across the Atlantic to see what can be done. Just do it...