PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadet Gliding pix in the 80s (pre glass)
Old 19th Jan 2009, 20:38
IFPS man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATC Gliding

I did my A + B at Swanton Morley in November 1964. Still remember arriving during a Sunday evening, in a thick Norfolk fog.. Also remember that one of the Instructors (I think it was Whittenbury) would, on the early morning trips, and just as you were set up for "an arrival", take over control and make a dirty dive for a mushroom patch he had seen on the flying field. What breakfasts.....
I also still have a copy of the "buff" Gliding Centre notes. Amongst other things, it includes the names of the Instructors. The OC was Flt Lt K E Bailey, DFC, then: Flt Lt I Ladley, Fg Off R G Gregory, Fg. Off G Naylor, Fg Off R Whittenbury and Fg Off D G King. I wonder what became of them?? The booklet also had a table which listed all the aircraft flown by the Instructors, from Ansons to Valiants, via Spitfires, Lancs, Typhoons (REAL ones), Wellingtons, Bombay, Sunderlands, plus at least another twenty single, twin and multi-engined aircraft... Bliss. I'm still scratching around in my parents loft for my 3822 so as to get to my Flying Log!!
AW