PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RJ 100s at BA EOG
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2002, 08:20
Nosferatu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Much, in some ways, as it grieves me to admit it, Bignose is right, as are BRAL, BENDYLADY, James Thin and others. Hand Solo, you may or may nor not have some correct info, but without a certified accountant checking the whole of the BA cost structure we will never know. What we DO know is that some trimming is required, and Rod is busy at that. The trimming he's instituting has so far been seen by the markets as far too little too late - so think what it might have been like if he had REALLY addressed the problem.

Secondly, look around you. I don't see the 50 odd Cathay guys taken back yet. I don't see all the BMi 146 guys getting a good deal over their somewhat questionable sudden redundancy; yet you seem to have the mindset someone referred to as typical mainline, and sadly it is. Raise your eyes over the dashboard mate, there's a real world out there, and sh*t happens!!

I note your concerns are not for your cadet colleagues who are now flying with us (BACEX) and who have taken a far greater percentile "hit" on remuneration than the LGW or Regional guys you are discussing. To a man, they all appear to be very glad they have jobs. BALPA is not what it was ever perceived to be, (sadly in some respects) and there are very few of us in this current Blairite post-MajorThatcher era who could afford to take all the risks associated with a strike. Most of us, frankly across the industry, think we are pretty fortunate to have jobs at all post September.
(not to mention post joining the loss making BAR - Profitmaking, don't talk rubbish, BHX to a small degree, the rest a thumping huge loss, as you know well!!)
So why not accept this is going to happen, that Scope is NOT going to happen, and wait for the inevitable market upturn, and pilot shortage when we (as pilots) will be in a much stronger position to improve EVERYONE'S Ts and Cs. That, if you think about it, was how BA achieved their current status. It was certainly NOT by lemming like action in the middle of an industry downturn!
:o :o