PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA initial grade 3 FIR
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2009, 22:28
MakeItHappenCaptain

Location: Hollister, Hilo, Pago Pago, Norfolk Is., Brisbane, depending which day of the week it is...
Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts
Minor point, RF rolleyes: PS 400 command would be even better anyway.
I'm not a rotary pilot but the principle being presented was that the instructor actually has some experience before they start teaching. It's hardly going to be 250 hours of dual flying in those hours now, is it?
I see many pilots who can't even interpret CAO 40.1 properly and it comes from people who teach from a textbook with no practical experience.
Perfect example: if you do two stints of duty 7-10am and 4-7pm just because you had 6 hours off in between doesn't mean you don't leave those out of the total. IT IS A 12 HOUR TOTAL.
Not saying every new Gr3 is like this, everybody has to start somewhere, but if you are purely hour building before you go airlines, find another stream of aviation. An instructor will pass 80% of what they know onto a student and if they don't top up their own knowledge base, 80% of 80% starts to mean not much is actually being taught.

In short, my advice to new instructors is keep studying!
Get some more advanced aerody books. Ask questions of senior instructors. Understand your topic and take pride in producing a higher and more importantly safer standard of student.
Back on topic, all the best for your test anyhoo!