PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue Cabin Crew EBA
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2009, 11:31
AirborneSoon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree, "we want to pay our employees less money and they don't like it" is not exactly a strong argument for government intervention on an EBA. I for one would rather vote no and have something imposed than to say "oh yes, please reduce my pay and increase my hours". I'm not a charity or an idiot!

I'm not worried for myself because I can always quit and go and get a job with real pay, I have skills worth $$ to rely on. But I do feel for naieve crew who feel they have no choice because someone is beating them with a stick.

In times like these I like to remember this simple truth....

It takes 5 weeks to train new crew, another 2 to check them to line. God knows how long it will take to recruit. So if a significant number of people walk, that's going to be some tough times for the company. There isn't a heap of surplus crew sitting around on reserve anywhere.

The company need their trained crew, and they cannot pretend they don't. Know your worth, know that the company has already invested around $30,000 just getting you online. It would be stupid of them to lose all that over a few $ in wages. Remember your training and how much a disrupted flight costs the company. Then vote on your EBA, not out of fear but from a knowing that they need you.

It also wouldn't hurt to make a list of all the money wasting activities you observe in your daily job. There are at least 20 things I know of I want to see go before they take a cent out of my paypacket. Such a list would give the FAAA something to negotiate with.

Last edited by AirborneSoon; 14th Jan 2009 at 12:02.