PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Was the Nomad really that bad?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2009, 09:19
By George

Received 73 Likes on 18 Posts
Some of you blokes are being a little hard on the Nomad. It wasn't that bad and not dangerous at all. It had some odd flight characteristics for sure, being pitch unstable at times with an odd pumping of the stick in turbulence. I think with a new tail the aeroplane had good potential. The N22 was strange with that flap retraction on an overshoot and I disliked its tendency to 'lean over' in crosswinds. MJMJKG I see you have flown the "Rice Rocket", now there is a dangerous aeroplane, killed a good mate of mine in suspected icing and has a world-wide reputation that is highly suspect. Capt Wally where you at F.S. in '79? the Searchmaster was based on the N22 not the N24. The N22B had the Bendix thimble nose radar and the N22L had the chin Litton radar. I ferried SNL (nicknamed the 'snail') and SDZ to Darwin. Flight time the same as Singapore to London, 13hrs. Hardly a rocket, but I thought they were quite fun. Some of the accident history on the type is straight 'pilot error', you had to watch the C of G especially in the N24, it was out of forward limits when empty, for example, but it's not fair to call it dangerous. I wish the new venture all the best.