PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cross channel check out!
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2009, 22:01
Say again s l o w l y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cross Channel Checkouts are generally a total waste of time. You can cover everything you need to in a 30 minute chat. Any remotely competent PPL should be able to manage a trip to Le Touqet.

I've never understood why schools get their knickers in a twist about crossing the channel.

Actually that's wrong, I do know why. There are too many inexperienced FI's and CFI's who actually consider crossing the channel to be a "big thing" when it really isn't.

It might be in the flying order book, but all that needs to be done is to insert a line such as "..or at the CFI's discretion if the member has relevant experience."

Not rocket science. I've done many trips to Le Touqet with PPL's, but only at their bequest. Many times I've done it for the price of lunch, since I often did naff all. I was just there as a backup and unneeded, especially with members who are hour building. They wanted someone there for a bit of confidence which is fine, but to insist that someone with log book proof and an obvious knowledge of flying abroad needs a checkout is utter madness.