PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cross channel check out!
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2009, 16:09
LH2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi DD,

No I'm not the CFI of the school concerned
Well, I'm sure pistongone will be glad to hear that!

Your argument has holes in it.....not paying someone, but buying them lunch...?
Yep, the difference between being coerced into paying and a voluntary gesture of appreciation. Capisce la differenza?

Is it...????? I work for a flying school, run as a business
Yes it is. We're not talking about where you work, we're talking about the club Mr. Gone is looking into joining.

I can just see it now....Little Johnny goes off to L2K unbriefed and unchecked with a freshly minted PPL (which, of course he is entitled to do!) and something terrible happens - who would you all be pointing the finger at?
Ah, the Nanny Ideology, I understand now.

There was much hooting and bleeting recently because a CFI let a pilot depart into known IMC with terrible consequences. When schools take a responsible attitude and exercise a 'duty of care' we are accused of profiteering!
Is that the one from a couple years ago where a low-currency student was basically coerced into flying somewhere else for the school's convenience, with a "safety pilot" who didn't even have a valid licence? Perhaps I'm thinking of a different accident report, but if not, that seemed a pretty good case of neglecting one's 'duty of care' and profiteering, so perhaps you would care to use a better example next time?

In any case, just to make it clear: I am accusing you and any proponents of the idea of a "compulsory cross channel check" and similar superfluous, ad-hoc "rulemaking" of not acting with your customer's safety and best interests in mind. Whether that's out of greed, fear, or stupidity I wouldn't know and it probably doesn't make a difference anyway.

Perhaps, as a training venue, it would be better to put your efforts into taking IO540's suggestion onboard and making sure your students come out properly trained in the first place.

I did my first long range trip (1800nm, three countries, three days) with 55hr TT and everyone was most supportive, plane's owner included. Mind you, I was very disappointed when we had to change plans for my PPL x-country after I learned that Morocco wouldn't let me in solo as a mere student. That was devastating, I tell you

On the other hand, being in the South of England, I presume your school wouldn't have any difficulty in programming a hop or two down to la France as part of your PPL syllabus? I'm sure your students would love it (and any decent student pays for his instructor's lunch on a landaway so there is something for everyone )