PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cross channel check out!
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2009, 10:53
pistongone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems the general consensus is that the CCC is a bit of a money maker for the club. Remember this would be after the hours check ride! However, i can see that a low houred pilot may find it usefull, but why not just offer a safety pilot for such instances? For example, Biggin to L2K is appx 78nm straight line or appx 90nm if you do the Dover-Cap dog leg. Not the most challenging cross country even for a newby, only difference being the fir crossing eta to calculate. Now, without the CCC the same low houred pilot could go to Denham(who ask for a local area familiarisation check thing? If renting from them(how do they apply that to visiting pilots)) to meet a freind say and then go to Barton, or Manchester City even, using the low level corridor and threading round quite a lot of airspace. Basically if they are not happy with your flying after the hours check the problem(s) should be discussed there and then. Having said all that. Their planes are very well kept and i did quite like the place so i will be taking a check ride with them and hope the CFI see's sense and just oversees the paperwork on the first trip to see all is in order. Thinking back to my first foreign trip, there was allways some one around who knew what to put in which box etc when doing the F/P etc etc, thats the whole point of being in a club isn't it?
Safe flying all PG.
I just had a look at google earth and just make it even easier for the newby pilot, Biggin is on a 78nm Looooooooooooong final for L2K