PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So where are all the jobs then?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2009, 14:57
mattgitau

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rincewind3, - you live in a very different aviation world to the realities of Flying career paths in Europe and the sub continent.

Telling someone from that part of the world to harden up and do some GA hours is of very little relavence over here. Maybe you should pull your head out of the sand and realise and appreciate that there is a whole world outside the NZ GA scene. I spent 5 years in GA in Australia, and now fly longhaul out of a major european city. I fly with a good mixture of guys and girls. A lot of the guys I fly with went straight into Jets with 200hrs, with the only piston aircraft flying they did was during their training. Many others went through the military, and have thousands of hours on fast jets, including flying in combat situations.

Its just a different world with different realities and opportunities. Your statement shows a degree of naiveness and narrow mindedness. I do appreciate how frustrating it is for you, hour building in NZ GA and living apart from your family - but remember, one-day you may well be sharing a flight-deck with these guys. Everyone takes a different route to get here - but in the end, it doesnt necessarily make you better or more superior to the person sitting next to you, and you may well end up being best of friends with some of these guys.....or at least have a lot of fun with them on an overnight.

Good luck to you - you will get there in the end and yes, it is worth it.....my advice, just don't make too many sacrifices along the way, with regards to your family. That time apart from them is time you will never get back.

Most of us get there in the end - and when we do, its a great level playing field.