PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Life Insurance and the Private Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2009, 16:13
Pilot DAR

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts
I am covered for all of my flying activities, including fixed and rotor wing test flying by my insurer, which is Trans America Life, here in Canada. I think that the broker selling the insurance is as important as the insurance company. When I first took out the policy about 13 years ago, my 3000 hours at the time was plenty, and they did not ask any more questions about the flying. The broker did not know me at all, but understood flying very well, and made it not a problem. I did have the sense that were I to have been a student pilot, the numbers might have been a bit different. I was told that the premium I was offered was only slightly higher than the regular for my age, and much lower than had I been a smoker. When renewal time can a few years ago, other companies were not eager for my business, particularly as I had added helicopters and test flying modifications to my flying. The original company was perfectly fine though, and I went back with them.

Interestingly I am also separately life insured as a volunteer firefighter, which I have also done for more than 15 years. Under that "firefighter" policy, I am covered 24/7 for absolutely anything except flying! I suppose that they think that walking into burning buildings in less dangerous than flying! Even if I fly on behalf of the fire department, which I do every month or so, they will not cover me!

My odd life insurance story:

In my capacity as a firefighter, I was called to a plane crash at the local airport. It was my very good friend, who owned the airport, and the flying operation. He'd managed to kill himself in his school's 150. Stupid flying. We lifted out who was left after a stop, which the coroner told us was about 200 G's (you don't want to know how he knows). The next day, as the business was closed, I was there helping out and answering phone calls. Who should call but my friend's life insurance broker, asking for him, as it would soon be time to renew. I decided there was no point in delaying the inevitable; "Well I'm sorry to tell you that you won't be able to speak to XXX, because yesterday.....". "Oh, thank you", Click.

Find a co-operative broker first, then have him search for the insurance you need, then fly (live) safe and don't need it!

Pilot DAR