PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing Evidence That The Upturn Is Upon Us
Old 7th Jan 2009, 11:30
Alex Whittingham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh dear, you can't be serious. Do we have to do all this again?

1. 30 failed airlines. Er, which ones? Oh, yes, the ones with the dodgy business models and/or the highly leveraged ones, some US domestic airlines and some minor European ones. In the UK you have Euromanx, European Aviation Air Charter, Silverjet, XL and Zoom.

2. Easy's traffic only grew by 7%. What is wrong with 7% growth? Sounds good to me considering the Pestonites have predicted the end of the world. It's like complaining Ryanair only made €215 million in the half year to Sep 08. Only??

4. Fall in load factors a big concern? Doh. They went up 3.4% in November and they dropped 3.3% in December.

3. True, both Easy and Ryanair have hiring freezes in place. I'm pleased you have noticed the inconsistency. A hiring freeze in place with consistent increased traffic loads will probably lead to a recruitment requirement in the spring. Wait and see.

This is what I said in October and November:

'Again, you misunderstand me. I completely agree that this is a time for wannabees to be extremely cautious, particularly with borrowed money. I am merely observing that the data from the Low Costs, from as recently as October, flies in the face of your arguements and predictions.'

Pse delete 'October' insert 'December'

And finally, you suggest that FTOs like to paint a glossy picture for wannabees. I disagree with you, I have found that people are generally very honest. I don't suppose you have any evidence for this accusation or is this just another opinion?