PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus crash/training flight
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2009, 10:20
Engine3firehandle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Meikleour
The most dangerous thing that came out of the LH incident you refer to was the fact that the LH crew completely failed to check their flight controls before take-off!!"

That is not true. ( I save me my two "!!" )

Correct is: Lufthansa did all the time flightcontrol checks. They also did on this flight. But what was never published before from airbus, you have to hold the stick for at least one or two seconds to the full extend until a warning is sound. They did not see, that the ailerons where deflecting the opposite way. After the accident LH changed the procedure as the CM2 has to call out loud the deflection and you have to start with the left side first.

Cause of this mishap was:
The ELAC was produced in two different versions and at the maintenance shop they installed the wrong plug and the cables were switched too I think.

A long chain of mistakes which the pilots could not break anymore. At least they did it, when flying.

They did a very good thing that was trained their excessively at the A320 fleet. Senior Training Captain Frisch a long time ago emphasized this and had every student to take over control from the PF by pressing the red takeover button. Standard procedure in the Sim in training. Instructor called from the back into the headset from one pilot to do full deflection to one side or down and not let go. The other pilot did not hear this instruction and had to take over with pressing the button or you lost.

You do not forget this experience in the sim!

Hope this clarified it a little for you.

I had been working with some companies and I must say, LH Passage Training was the best so far and they are very eager and open for new things and trying to improve constantly.

The company ( LH Passage ) is spending a lot of money for training and the training department. The informations you receive as a pilot there are way more superior then what I have seen from other airlines. But this also costs money and they spend it for a safe flight operation. The informations and workouts triggle from the Trainingsdepartment from LH Passage down to the subsidaries like LH Cityline, LHCargo and Condor and are used there as well.

Believe me, there are flightcontrolchecks at Lufthansa ;-)

Fly safe...