PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inverloch 337 Report
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2009, 04:28
Wally Mk2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'Chimba' some good thoughts there in yr post.

I notice in the report that the pilot was most likely out of whack with the W&B at T/off, this is an unhealthy sign that the PIC wasn't too concerned about rules & regs pertaining to the A/c limitations even before he got airborne, what about his own decision making (re WX) limitations? They too where no doubt questionable. Was it that he simply didn't know due lack of experience? Seems odd as he had endorsements for heavier A/C than the C337 & had several 1000's of hrs aeronautical experience. Don't forget we all have been in the same situation re experience levels, no one is born with experience.
I wonder if such airframes should only be allowed to be flown by IFR rated drivers, would this fix this type of situation? I doubt it. Often IFR drivers are tempted more so to 'go have a peek' than say a VFR driver. Obviously this is not the case every time but being IFRr rated doesn't guarentee anything. This guy simply shouldn't have alowed himself to be there in the first place, the burning question now is what lured a qualified licensed pilot albiet with low hrs on type but that was more a handling issue not a wx related decison making issue to not have an out & get suckered in?

We've seen this time & time again, can we all learn from such events? do we? Rarely sadly

Interesting reading just the same.

Wmk2