PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Time to stop the Coningsby flying club?
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2002, 08:30
Ali Barber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

The only people posted to BBMF full time are the groundcrew and OC BBMF. All the rest are part timers with other primary jobs. All the Lanc/Dak pilots are non-CGY (one Dom, one Canberra and 3 AWACS). The other pilots are all from CGY, but even then, they cannot come from the operational sqns because they are deployed away too much (this isn't a recent caveat, it has always been there, even when overstretch wasn't so much of an issue). I can understand that membership of BBMF might be seen as a perk of being CGY based, but the a/c have to be based somewhere. The BBMF doesn't only operate at weekends and you need people based locally so as to minimse the disruption to their primary job. I had the privelage of being an F3 OCU instructor and co-pilot on the Lanc and it was the best time I have had so far in the RAF. The flying was great, but the biggest thrill and most humbling occasions were the many times when we met the "old boys" who had flown these things in anger. The BBMF is a flying museum dedicated to the memory of those who fought for us, and is not restricted to just BofB pilots. Long may it continue to fly.