PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - This IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) is slowly killing me!
Old 5th Jan 2009, 16:07
Lancastrian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had IBS for the past five years and like many conditions, it does not give a hoot what your profession is ,was,or desire. The condition is intolerant to stress....what that level of stress may be is a personal thing. Flare ups are frequent, cyclic to days when one feels the world is a wonderful place High fibre for me is a definite no no along with curries,eggs,too much bread and certain veg. I tolerate well,rice,regular drinks of water.After the last colonoscopy I was advised to take a powder each evening called Lepicol which is Psyllium husk and probiotic cultures.For me ..it works. I can get away with a glass or two of my favourite spirit tipple....but,.....go to far and the gut lets me know. Exercise plays an inportant part of self treatment. I would also add this as I apply to myself,... its not a condition which will attract any pioneering intervention. I take the stance,"once diagnosed...you have it...get on with it". There is no magic pill or wonder drug although,once whilst in a bad bout of the condition I had cause to visit my GP for another problem. He prescribed a short course of a corticosteroid for a very painful shoulder. The IBS stopped within a matter of days! Flying for me (as a passenger) means considerable preperation of a couple of days low food intake, Imodium on the day of travel and two days of stomach cramps after arrival. Hence,I love cruising.Its not the limited cubicles of WC in flight but those damned silly people who insist on pushing a stupid aisle blocking trolley up and down for the duration of the trip. Lastly, start making your list of the food your gut likes and does not like ASAP.