PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Time to stop the Coningsby flying club?
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2002, 05:41
BEagle

Received 337 Likes on 118 Posts
When I was at Coningsby, the guys who were selected to fly the priceless BBMF aircraft had to 'fit in', be prepared to work weekends despite their 'day jobs' of teaching people like me to fly the F4 and to prove themselves to the likes of that awfully nice Mr Wratten.

They didn't just jump straight into a Mk19 Spit and roar off - there was a very careful work up programme which went (I think) Chipmunk, then Hurricane, then 'little' Spit, then - after many hours on the Flight - 'big' Spit.

Not something that some 'shag' can readily aspire to unless located at the same base as the BBMF. I'm not quite sure why a Lancaster is considered part of a 'Battle of Britain' memorial flight - but it is. What a shame that we haven't got a flying museum which can also still keep Meteors, Vampires, Venoms, Hunters, Gnats etc flying as well. The civvies do that - and a grand job they do as well!!

Personally I think that the BBMF does a much better job than a certain team of red aeroplanes just up the road from them do...