PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: QANTAS/ALAEA EBA
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2009, 04:28
hadagutfull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what I understand, the customers have been given a "phased" timetable on when they will be planned to return (if they have not already got the sh**s and moved on). The tail payments will still be paid and have been paid all this time because the contracts have not been cancelled. The ones who have officially cancelled the contract, that attract a tail payment, will have the tail payment removed.

Looking at whats left to come back, I dont think SIT has the ability to handle some of the exotics that fly the 777/A340/A320 anymore. A lot of people have gone to the 380 and MCC and taken a lot of licence coverage with them.

There would need to be a huge investment in training to adequately cover this, which I dont see happening. The only training I would speculate is on the 330, primarily to cover the Jetstar ops.

The last lot of management really dropped the ball on this one and it has opened the door to the other smaller players to muscle in.

CEG groups work very well for other airlines who usually use their minimum skilled workforce to handle clients. The cream is in the ground equipment hire, non routine work, off sched flights, towing, pumping up a few tyres etc. If the contract includes certification, the dollars are a fair bit more.

At Qantas stations, in a CEG context, we are very inefficient and make no where near what we should. As a provider of maintenance and quality work, we are amongst the worlds best.

If management would only get the balance right and invest in the CEG side of things (not to forget the red tail side as well) it would be a very profitable outcome.