PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The mystery of the 757
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2009, 04:25
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What can be said about the 757...?

A lot - really -
xxx
When it rolled out of Seattle factory, appeared to be (and was) the replacement for 727, with in fact, about the fuselage dimensions and cross-section of the 707 and the 727-200... I saw that airplane continue to be produced well beyond year 2000. Well beyond the production of the 737 new versions.
xxx
One thing, it came initially with the designation "757-200" - letting me believe there would be a shorter/lighter "757-100" one day, as much as I expected the production of a "757-300" in view of its "higher landing gear" permitting the fuselage to be stretched. Boeing had been unable to stretch the 707 as Douglas did on the DC-8 because of its low landing gear.
xxx
But the 757-100 never came. And while the CFM versions of the 737-200 were to be expected (300-400-500), I was somewhat surprised at Boeing dumping the 757 production and see them drawing plans for the newer current versions of the 737, known as the 700-800-900... After all, Boeing was stretching an airplane from... the 1960s. Quite an older design.
xxx
A nice thing to me was the commonality of 757/767 pilot ratings. Convenient to have airlines with a fleet of both types, and crews who can operate either type of aircraft.
xxx
So that is where Boeing leaves the 757 aircraft. I never flew one, but it is the only "twin" I would have been attracted to be qualified as pilot. I always liked the 757 rides as a passenger, with its "single aisle" compared to the "crowded sensation" of the twin aisle wide body airplanes. And despite my dislike of twin airplanes ETOPS (as I was a 747 pilot with 4 motors), I did not mind crossing a 2,000 NM stretch of ocean, with a nice 757.
xxx
Yes, there will be 757 flying for long, many probably with 220+ Y class passengers when the airlines get tired of having their F class cabin for airline executives or employees on free pass travel. And there will be numerous 757 freighters converted from passenger airplanes, to continue operating them for long.
xxx
Hey Boss (I know you read my lines often) -
You do not need F class to enjoy your free travel with extra legroom. Learn to sip your Courvoisier(s) from an overwing exit seat with extra legroom, and a future Diego Maradona banging on the back of your seat. Thanks for the gold Rolex anyway. Probably was company funds, not from your wallet. As for smoking your stinking cigars, are the guys still letting you puff them, on the flight deck...?
ˇY con respecto, Patrón! - Me gusta ser jubilado...
xxx

Happy contrails